[mythtv-users] vdpau and the star-studded screen of death

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:22:55 UTC 2009

> My first inclination would be a heat issue.  How is your case cooling.  Is
>> this a passive cooling card? Maybe play your recording and watch
>> nvidia-settings temp gauge to see if its really high.
>>
>> Or try and just stick a fan near it to assist.
>>

> --
>> Mitchell
>>

>> Thanks.  I've installed nvclock which gives me both fan speed and GPU
>> temperature.  I'll monitor it the next time we are watching recordings.
>>

> -- Ken E.

For anyone that is interested, I checked the GPU temperature while at the
recordings menu (45C), watching an mpeg recording (57C) and watching an H264
recording (55C).  This was while using the VDPAU High Quality rendering
profile.  The fan never went above 25%.  So this doesn't look like a heat
problem.  Since then, I have changed to the VDPAU Normal profile and locked
my STB to 720p (feeding my HD-PVR). Not sure, but I believe that each time
this error occurred, it was after watching an H264 recording from the
HD-PVR.  I'll wait and see if the problem resurfaces.

-- Ken E.