[mythtv-users] UK: BBCi / "red button" on Freesat

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Dec 1 21:12:39 UTC 2009

Stephen Bridges wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 20:54:59 Robert Longbottom wrote:
>
>> Stephen Bridges wrote:
>>

>> The additional interactive video content is actually provided on normal
>> channels which you can just tune like any other channel.  Their numbers
>> (on my system) are 6880...6886 and are called STREAM-0...6.  It's a bit
>> hit and miss what appears on which stream, but one usually contains some
>> kind of menu showing mini images of what is on the others.
>>

> Ah, this is the information I was after.  I'll re-enable those channels.
>

>> I've always wondered if it is possible to get the "red button" to work
>> "properly", but I've never actually looked into it....
>>

> Presumably this mechanism is the same as the freeview one, where there's some
> kind of MHEG instruction to change channel, like 301 on freeview?
>
> Stephen.

Ah, you've just reminded me, I also have one called "BBC Sport
Interactive" on 200 (I might have changed  that number myself).  But I'm
not sure what I get on that one.

If you get the Stream-0...6 channels they have some kind of test signal
when nothing is showing you get a blue background with a moving number
that corresponds to the stream number and the audio just repeats over
and over saying something like "stream 1 audio 1".  So at least you'll
know you have the right channels for when something is on!  But I think
there's usually something on at least a few of them.

Let us know if you find out how to get the MHEG stuff working properly :-)

Robert.