[mythtv-users] CableCARD spoofed by DIY community

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:01:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> An acronym for you. DMCA.
>
> Actually, the DMCA allows reverse engineering for interoperability.
> And if cablecard works in the manner I understand, they won't have to
> break any encryption to get access to the content, because the
> cablecard will handle that for them. All they need is the driver to
> interface with the card. Then the card can do its thing and the driver
> can interact with the card to fetch the results.
>
> --
> Ron

Well, DMCA aside, if the device makes decrypted content available on
any user accessible bus (as it would have to to work in a non-DRMed
system like MythTV), it would definitely violate the cable card host
license agreement:

http://www.opencable.com/downloads/DCAS_New.pdf

...though I'm not clear what actual enforcement would take place.

Tom