[mythtv-users] slow dvb lock in .21

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:43:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Jeremy Enos <jenos at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Hi-
> Just updated to .21 and am getting a much increased channel change delay
> relative to .20 which was already too slow.  It's taking 15 to 25 seconds to
> lock, and then the normal 3-5 seconds or so after that to actually play.
>  Anyone else seeing delays like this?
> thx-
>
>   Jeremy

15 to 20 seconds is a real long time for sure.  What's more, if it
takes that long to lock, you're going to miss the beginning of
recorded shows as well, so it's more than a LiveTV issue.

 I used 0.20 for almost a year before upgrading to 0.21, which was
quite some time ago.  I record all DVB-T on HD-5500 pcHDTV cards, and
saw no change in channel locking time between those versions...a
couple of seconds at most.  The only locking issue I ever had was when
a lock PBS station starting broadcasting bad PIDs in their stream.

You might want to try the femon program from the linuxtv-dvb-apps
package to check for possible signal issues:

femon -a 0 -H
FE: LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend (ATSC)
status SCVYL | signal  91% | snr  32% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  88% | snr  30% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  91% | snr  32% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal  88% | snr  32% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

As far as all the LiveTV rants that go on here...I use LiveTV though
nowhere near as often as recordings.  I find channel changing to be
quick enough.  Hell...if you want to be able to pause LiveTV, changing
a channel means a) closing the current recording, b) tuning a channel,
c) starting to record it, and d) streaming that recording to the
frontend.  Am I the only one who's always been amazed that's as fast
as it is??

But yea...15 to 20 seconds is awful.  However I've certainly seen no
difference between 0.20 and 0.21.

Tom