[mythtv-users] S-video out on Nvidia 6200 series cards?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:33:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> I have an older Asus Pundit-R machine that has been a mythfrontend for
>> one TV in our house. The machine is old and noisy and I'd like to get
>> rid of it. I'm Gentoo based and not happy with ATI support so I'd like
>> to find an inexpensive N-Vidia card that supports S-Video out to see
>> what I can do with it.
>>
>> Longer term I will likely have to build a new backend server this year
>> with the switch to digital. None of my digital stuff works yet - I
>> have an HDHR and would like to get a couple or 1394-based STB to
>> replace the PVR-150s - but none of that works yet. When I build the
>> new server I might put this card in it and let it operated as a
>> frontend also. Current TVs here are all standard def. No high def and
>> no immediate purchase plans.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> If you plan on keeping the machine around a while why not go for a 8xxx or
> 9xxx card? Both of my 8400GS cards have s-video out. I don't watch much SD
> content these days, but some posters say the VDPAU deinterlacers are
> superior to any others available in Myth. When I had an 8400 connected to an
> SD TV all I had to do was disconnect the monitor and leave only the s-video
> cable and the nvidia binary drivers picked it up and used it. I had a blank
> screen until X started, but I had ssh for any problems that arose.
>
> I haven't checked the price of the 6200 card, but my 8400 was ~$30 US when I
> bought it.
>
> Cheers,
> James

The machine is older and is AGP 4X/8X. My searches at Newegg implied
that AGP support ends at the 6xxx series as nothing higher comes up.

Anyway, I've ordered a $40/256MB card which will arrive in a few days
so the initial purchase problem is handled. Now only the bigger
problem of actually making it actually work remains... ;-)

Fortunately this is mostly about WAF as new xorg-server updates broke
her Intel support weeks ago and this will hopefully solve that
problem. Even if the S-Video thing doesn't pan out the new card will
be better for her. If I can test S-Video for a future server, even if
that server is PCI-Express based and I never use this card then that
will be OK.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Cheers,
Mark