[mythtv-users] slow dvb lock in .21

David Lister foceni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 14:38:29 UTC 2009

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>  The problem is multiple things.
>
>  1) None of the devs actually uses LiveTV on a regular basis.
>
>  2) None of those that try to reproduce the crazy channel change times
>     see the problem. For example channel changes on my setup are 1 second
>     for my PVR250/150's and 1.5 seconds on my firewire STB
>     used for HD. And a lot of that 1.5 is the time spent actually sending the
>     individual bits of the channel number to the STB. And finally 1-1.5 seconds
>     on my ATSC/QAM DVB card accessing some digital channels from my cable co.
>
>     And before anyone asks. Yes this is with a remote frontend, and multiple
>     cards in multiple backends. Tested with both NFS and mythprotocol only.
>     No I have not intentionally done anything to "fix" it.
>

>  3) Lack of personal time.
>

>  An an FYI there is 1 change that does make a big difference in change times for some situations (took my msntv'2 down from 9 seconds to 3 years ago when I used them) which I haven't implemented because I frankly haven't had enough time
>  nor driving need to do it.

One funny thing first: every time I hear "Estabrook(s)", I recall
Charlie Estabrook, the main character from the book Imajica by Clive
Barker. This book really left a deep mark in me. So dark, brimming with
spellbinding mysterium and wild unearthly imagery, that in my memory,
Charlie is as real as any other person I've known in my past. It is a
strange feeling... :)

ad 2) This is really weird, it never took less than 5 seconds for me to
switch channels with HVR-500 (2.5Mbps). Now that I've converted to DVB-S
and 0.21-fixes, the time increased to 6sec (FTA and encrypted). This
being measured from the moment a complete "L" lock is acquired. FE/BE
running on the same machine.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone's MythTV switching in 1-1.5sec. If
that was the case (even 2sec), nobody would bother mentioning it. One
second is quite acceptable time even for TV's.

I'd really like to know about the change you mentioned. I would try it
right away -- all my sources are up-to-date, all 4 cores ready to roll
and I'm in the mood for hacking. :) Let me know what to try and if I get
a speedup of at least 1.5sec I'll bow before you in reverence...

Regards,
Dave