[mythtv-users] Audio over HDMI: my story

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:15:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought you guys might enjoy reading this...
>
> With my new Vizio HDTV, I decided to see if I could reduce cabling by
> using the HDMI-1 input (audio through HDMI) instead of HDMI-2
> (separate stereo audio input).  Everything worked until I tried
> playing a DVD rip, which gave no audio.  I figured it was a digital
> vs. analog audio issue, and I dug up all the discussions here, messed
> with alsamixer and so forth, but to no avail.  Finally I gave up and
> reverted to HDMI-2.
>
> Later, I remembered that my nvidia card has only DVI output, not HDMI,
> and I was using a DVI<->HDMI cable for the hookup.  So, why was I
> getting any audio in the first place?  Wild.
>
> Also, when I reverted to the original HDMI-2 TV input, I got no sound
> at all.  A sinking feeling of WAF-loss descended on me as I
> desperately messed with alsamixer and everything else I could think
> of.  Finally, I realized that I had swapped the TV's audio inputs from
> the myth box and the DVD player.  D'oh!
>
> Jim

The audio is on the same data stream as the video so the DVI-HDMI is not the
issue.  The issue would be that the video card would need to get the sound
from the sound card.

It is amazing how complex this stuff is.  Guess that is how people can make
a good living just hooking this stuff up for folks.

Allen