[mythtv-users] Which is faster? Tuning DVB-T in the UK or IPTV provided from VLC

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:36:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:31, Steve Daniels
<steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to speed up the dreaded Live TV.
>
> Yeah yeah, they record a fair bit, but occasionally my parents like to
> use Live TV.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with delivering a mux to
> MythTV from DVB-T via VLC. Is MythTV quicker to tune between the
> channels provided by VLC?
>
> If it's a lot quicker I should be able to set up 6 tuners with
> instances of VLC to cover all 6 muxes in the UK.

I've not actually used IPTV for live TV (Despite the fact I'm doing
all my recording through it), as we really don't watch live TV here.

However, there is currently an issue with IPTV, where if there is no
data received, Myth still believes it has a successful recording
(Despite the fact the file doesn't exist/is 0 bytes long).

Some kind of "No data received for 5 seconds, marking recording as
failed and rescheduling" option (Like I believe DVB/ATSC recordings do
when they can't get a lock) would be ideal to remove this issue, but
as I can't code C/C++ to save my life, that's going to have to stay in
my "Wouldn't it be nice if" list (Along with binding an IPTV tuner to
a specific interface).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
Sent from Regina, SK, Canada