[mythtv-users] Numeric Input Garbled

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 28 18:31:27 UTC 2009

On 04/28/2009 02:11 PM, Josh White wrote:
> This is becuase by default, myth assumes you're trying to enter text
> with a numerical remote control pad (as in enter A-Z with only 0-9
> buttons).  To handle this, they've implemented something like text
> messaging on a cell phone, so you press #2 once for "A" twice for "B"
> etc. and about 10 times to enter "2".   I've complained about this in
> the past (try entering the phrase "1080P" using this method...) The
> best advice I received was to turn the on-screen keyboard on, and then
> ignore it and type normally.  Seems like a weak workaround to me, but
> that's the best way to do that with what the dev's have implemented,
> and their priorities are such that nothing has been done about it.

Actually, their priorities have been on completely changing the entire
user interface to use the new mythui layer rather than focusing on the
part of Myth that's being thrown out.  Note that what you're complaining
about (the T9-style-but-without-prediction text entry) doesn't even
exist in the new user interface.

>   Such is life with an open source project for an non-coding person.
> It seems to me that coding the option to turn this "feature" on and
> off wouldn't be that troublesome,

But why enhance dead code?  :)

Mike