[mythtv-users] Firewire capture worked, but now failing again

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:40:53 UTC 2009

I posted to this list a problem back in September 2008, whereby my
fireware-captured recordings on certain channels did not playback
properly.  If I watched them without any skipping, they played back
fine.  However, if I skipped ahead or back in the recording (or
allowed commercial skip to take place), the video and audio would
stutter badly.

At the time, I found that using the following command:

mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress --infile <filepath>

... would resolve the problem, although the recording would lose its
VBI captions (not the ATSC captions).  I like using VBI captions when
I'm watching a show at time-stretched 1.5X.  ATSC captions aren't 100%
reliable in my area.

I set up a user job to run that command on every recording after it
was finished recording.  The draw back is that I could not watch any
live TV with skipping; and I had to wait until a recording was
finished before I could watch it.  All this material was captured on a
Motorola DCT6416.

In January 2009, I picked up a second HD tuner, the Motorola DCT6200,
and daisy chained them together.  For some unknown reason, the problem
went away shortly afterwards.  I no longer had any stuttering and did
not need to run the mythtranscode user job.  I thought something about
adding the DCT6200 fixed it.  For a time, all was good.

A couple of weeks ago, April 2009, there were major issues with
firewire capture.  I decided to power off all components of the system
and power it up again.  It would not have been the first time I've
done this since January.  However, my original problem re-appeared;
and now I'm forced to run mythtranscode on the new recordings again.

It does not appear to be a playback problem -- recordings made in
February 2009 (with the custom userjob) playback fine.

In a post from a while ago, Michael Dean suggested that it might be
the seektable; so I took a "bad" recording, and compared the seektable
entries for that recording before and after running the mythtranscode
job listed above -- and there aren't any differences.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!