[mythtv-users] uPNP Stream to PS3 woes

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Apr 27 16:32:22 UTC 2009

On 27 Apr 2009, at 17:00, Michael Craven wrote:

> I’m capturing AVC/AC3 fine to a file that myth writes as mpg on the
> storage disk… I can see the Myth uPNP server from my PS3 and have no
> issues surfing about the various menus to find recordings. When I
> try to play a recording, I get a ‘data corrupt’ message. L

I have a similar setup, despite what Sony's faq says the PS3 doesn't
like playing ac3 in a ps programme stream file, it has to be in a
transport stream, maybe this is your problem, where do your AVC/AC3
files come from? I record transport streams from DVBS and DVBT Freesat
& Freeview in the UK I also find that the PS3 is not happy if the
broadcaster messes up the stream labelling, BBC HD currently labels
AC3 as mpeg2 audio, the PS3 ignores the AC3 audio and plays the audio
description mpeg2 instead. I get the odd recording from Boston MA too
and I find some channels are shown as corrupted by the PS3 on either
streaming server. I find tsMuxeR to be a partial solution, it produces
files that stream and play but audio sync is variable and the PS3
stops playing if you try to seek faster than 1.5x or backwards at all.

> The files myth is writing are accessible from another uPNP server
> running in my network and it will stream them to the PS3 just fine.
> I was capturing AVC/AAC before and that wouldn’t play on the PS3
> without transcoding no matter with server was doing the streaming.
>
> Does anyone have some thoughts on why one server streams just fine
> and the myth server seems to upset the PS3? The streams should be
> the same, no? Beyond that, I assume others are doing post-capture
> transcodes/user jobs? As a second option, can I get some direction
> to setting some post-capture massaging up?

I find that with some files when MythTV streams them the PS3 will not
play but when streamed by MediaTomb they stream fine! I haven't worked
out exactly what's going on but mime types seem very important to the
PS3.

I have a few scripts that fix up BBC HD and ITV HD such that the PS3
can play them but not working 100% yet.

I wish I could find a meaningful feedback route to SCEE as I'm sure
the issues are pretty minor if fixed in the PS3 but cause a big pain
to fix with free scriptable linux software.

You could try running one of the files through TSDoctor, it's very
good at fixing up transport streams misconfigured by broadcasters! It
works well enough under Wine if you don't have any Windows but it's
purely gui so not much use for a proper fix.

Andre