[mythtv-users] Ethernet troubles.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Apr 27 13:32:35 UTC 2009

>> I actually do 'real' NAT to my internal network using IPTABLES on my
>> Firewall machine.
>>

> You have multiple external IPs with one-to-one mapping to your internal
> network?

Just because NAT is used in combination with private addresses doesn't
make it not "real" or "pure". It's still NAT, which simply means
translating one address into another address. Either way it maintains
the same style lookup table (address X maps to address Y). It just so
happens that all of the addresses in one of the columns are the same
address.

That might not seem so obvious if you haven't actually used something
like iptables, but once you have, it is glaringly obvious exactly how
it is done. With iptables, it takes the exact same configuration
commands to setup a 1-to-1 mapping as it does a 1-to-many mapping of
addresses. The only difference is what you specify as the source and
destination addresses in the configuration commands.

--
Ron