[mythtv-users] Ethernet troubles.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sun Apr 26 20:57:15 UTC 2009

> As others have mentioned, the SD2005 is a switch, not a router.  It's
> also best used as a paperweight, not as a networking device.

OK, there seem to be two pieces of information here.
(1) that the LinkSys sd2008 has problems,

To which I ask if I trash this router (or RMA it) what would you recommend?
I need 1000Mbps, and only 4-5 ports.

(2) > The SD2005 is a switch, not a router.

I have the feeling you are saying something important here, but Im not
getting it.  It was always my impression that 'switches' were just smarter
than 'hubs', and Ive always used the term 'routers' for both.

I have always thought that a 'hub' just repeated any packet that came in
on one port to all other ports, while a switch was smart enough to learn
what was down each port, and eventually repeat messages only where they
were needed.  Since all these devices seem to allow multiple speeds of
connection, I have to assume that the entire packet is accumulated from
the input port before sending it out on the output port(s), since it
might be slower. Is this correct?

Am I missing something?

And again, what would you recommend?
--