[mythtv-users] myth wont run with dual screens

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:03:13 UTC 2009

2009/4/26  <scottadamson at internode.on.net>:
> Hello all, have been trying to configure myth on Ubuntu 8.10, using a PVR350
> & ati HD3450. After much trial and error to configure the correct driver
> (fglrx) etc I have it working correctly, except that it will not start with
> a dual screen setup, just hangs after 'Switching to square mode
> (MythCenter)', when I try to run the frontend. Nothing in the mythtv logs
> gives any indication as to why this is not working. I have played around
> with different screen resolutions, using Xinerama or not, starting on
> alternate screen, nothing seems to make any difference. Can anyone give me
> any clues ? or suggest a good tool to configure xorg (I suspect this is my
> probem)

Scott

If you have another machine available.......

Install x11vnc on the machine that's not outputing correctly and open
the firewall port you'll use to log on via vnc (default is 5900)

put it into the mode that's causing the problem

remote ssh into it from the other machine

from within the ssh connection run x11vnc on it using a command like

x11vnc -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-xx443882 -display :0 -noxdamage
 (read the manual to see where the -auth token is on your distro)

in a separate command session on the 'new' machine log onto the
'faulty' machine with a command like

vncviewer 192.168.1.100

If you get a graphics image on the new machine you can then play
around to get the output working correctly

The reason to use x11vnc?  Over a wired connection it's fast enough to
see a TV image remotely (OK it's going to be terrible latency....and
only maybe one in five frames.....but you can see if it's working)