[mythtv-users] ATI Catalyst Version Numbers

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 01:42:08 UTC 2009

2009/4/25 Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>:

> Well my first attempts at HD on this box haven't been successful. There is a
> noticeable lag in playing back HD content, CPU runs at about 80%. Of course
> this is a 768p screen so the frontend needs to downscale the output.
>
> Would you share your xorg.conf? I'd like to see what you've done.
>
> HDMI audio also isn't working. I just get noise. Gotta carefully go through
> the various wiki pages on digital audio.

Sure,
There was very little work involved in setting up HDMI audio:
Here's my /etc/asound.conf [0] which allows you to leave MythTV set to
play to the alsa default output. By doing it this way it also means
other apps that use alsa will default to HDMI out too (e.g. mplayer).
To make sure that you can get to this stage I've attached my `aplay
-l`[1] and `aplay -L`[2] outputs to compare to yours.

My xorg.conf[3] is also attached, I luckily commented in where some of
the options came from back when I added them.

I don't have numbers on cpu usage for HD at the moment.. I'll check it
out soonish when I find some time.

Hope that helps
Cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes:
--
[0]
=====

[1]
=====
$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[2]
=====
$  aplay -L
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, HDA Generic
null
front:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround41:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround50:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround51:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround71:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
=====

[3] xorg.conf
=====
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"

#	Driver		"vesa"
	Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "TexturedVideo" "on"
	Option	    "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
	Option	    "TexturedVideoSync" "true"
# Options from http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333521
	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
	Option	    "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
	Option	    "UseFastTLS" "1"
	#### Experimental
	Option	    "Textured2D" "on"
	Option	    "TexturedXRender" "on"
	Option	    "BackingStore" "on"
	#### forced turned off so TextureVideo is used
	Option	    "EnableMonitor" "auto"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device     "Configured Video Device"
	Monitor    "Configured Monitor"
	DefaultDepth     24
	Option	    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"

# Options from http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333521
	## For Textured2d and Textured XRender
	### Listed in thread, but not used according to log on Xorg 7.2
	#Option "Damage" "On"
	# Option "Composite" "On"
	## Should be loaded automatically, but for good measure
	Option	    "RENDER" "On"
	## For Compiz
	Option	    "XVideo" "On"
#	Option	    "Composite" "Enable"