[mythtv-users] Mytharchive issues (yet AGAIN!)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 22:45:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 I am also running Mythbuntu 8.10 x64 and had the same problem with
authoring a DVD using Mytharchive (I was converting an MPEG4 AVI file
to MPEG2 DVD Video).  I googled for "Unknown encoder 'mpeg2video'" and
found out that the version of ffmpeg shipped with most (all)
distributions is "gimped" and won't do transcoding.  I followed the
instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986534) I found
using apt-get to remove the ffmpeg that came with Mythbuntu and
install an ungimped version.  Mytharchive, ffmpeg, and dvdauthor then
all worked to author a DVD.

I am pretty sure I am right in sayng the medibuntu version (which
mythbuntu-control-center allow you to install) will work.

Pisses me off that mythbuntu allows you to install mytharchive without
warning that it won't actually work unless you get a non-shipped
version of ffmpeg.