[mythtv-users] Getting into HD

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Apr 24 16:48:15 UTC 2009

(please don't top-post...)

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:44 -0400, Evan Passero wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2009, at 1:30 PM, James Pifer wrote:
> > I've been a mythtv user since the 0.14 days. I'm very happy with my
> > setup and other than the backend server freezing once in a great while
> > (bad memory I think) everything is super stable.
> >
> > I've just recently picked up an HDTV and I'm looking at getting
> > digital
> > cable for this TV. Obviously you get a more channels with digital
> > cable.
> > I know my kids will want me to record shows for them, such as off the
> > Military channel. My understanding is you have to use the cable
> > company's digital set top box to get the extra channels. My cable
> > provider is Time Warner.
> >
> > So if I get digital cable, is there any way for me to record these
> > channels with mythtv? I don't even want them in HD quality since
> > none of
> > my frontends can even do it.
> >
> > Another option would be to use one of the cable company's DVRs. Really
> > don't want to do that or pay extra for it. I put recorded videos in
> > mythvideo and my kids are very used to that interface. I'm guessing it
> > would be difficult at best to get them off the DVR.
> >
> Yes, recording from a set-top box is doable. There is a wiki page on
> Recording Digital Cable (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Digital_Cable
> ).
>
> The first route that came to mind was running the coax out from the
> set-top box (STB) to your capture card. You would need to look in to
> an IR-Blaster run from your computer to the STB so myth could control
> changing the channels.

You're better off running RCA cables to an analog capture card (pvr-150
or something like it) than using coax.  Better quality - though both
will work.  Also, depending upon the cable box you'd get, you may be
able to use serial, USB, or Firewire channel-changing.  If its possible,
I'd recommend it over using an IR blaster every time...

	-I