[mythtv-users] Getting into HD

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Apr 24 17:30:06 UTC 2009

I've been a mythtv user since the 0.14 days. I'm very happy with my
setup and other than the backend server freezing once in a great while
(bad memory I think) everything is super stable.

I've just recently picked up an HDTV and I'm looking at getting digital
cable for this TV. Obviously you get a more channels with digital cable.
I know my kids will want me to record shows for them, such as off the
Military channel. My understanding is you have to use the cable
company's digital set top box to get the extra channels. My cable
provider is Time Warner.

So if I get digital cable, is there any way for me to record these
channels with mythtv? I don't even want them in HD quality since none of
my frontends can even do it.

Another option would be to use one of the cable company's DVRs. Really
don't want to do that or pay extra for it. I put recorded videos in
mythvideo and my kids are very used to that interface. I'm guessing it
would be difficult at best to get them off the DVR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James