[mythtv-users] MythTV LiveTV Recordings

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:13:03 UTC 2009

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Sergio Bello <serbel at televes.com
> <mailto:serbel at televes.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     I've read that MythTV uses NuppleVideo format (.nuv) to store
>     recordings while an user watch live tv, but I've checked that
>     while I watch TV, I have a .mpg file growing. I can watch that
>     file using xine and mplayer, although not with vlc. Does anybody
>     know what format is actually this video? Is it really a mpeg file
>     or I shouldn't trust it's .mpg extension?
>     Thanks
>

> What type of tuner are you using?
> analog/DVB/ATSC/IPTV/FireWire/Monkey
>
> Also, VLC should play anything myth puts out.
I believe .NUV was / is only used whit older cards that produce raw
video streams; i.e. not MPEG-2 etc. So if you have one of the really old
card like the BTTV ones, it gets saved as .NUV.

However, if you have something like a Hauppauge PVR card that does
hardware MPEG-2 encoding, or a DVB card that receives an MPEG-2 file
direct from the transmission, then you'll just get an MPEG-2 TS
(Transport Stream) file. For the differences in TS and PS versions of
MPEG-2, look at the wikipedia article, it's quite good.

Some player do have problems with TS files I've found, so that may be
your problem. For example, if I run "file blah.mpg" on a TS file, it
tells me it's raw data, but if I do the same on a PS file, it correctly
identifies it.

YMMV!

Cheers
Gordon