[mythtv-users] improve upscaling quality?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:13:06 UTC 2009

>> Maybe someone will enable ffmpeg's software scaling in MythTV someday.
>> - Mark.
> That WOULD be nice.  Looks like some preliminary work has already been done?
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/371131?search_string=libswscale;#371131
> --Jack

well, it is maybe time to checkout the trunk again. thanks for the news.

2009/4/22 Jeff <junk_inbox at verizon.net>:
>> > But for SD content over DVB-C, my crappy DVB-C receiver I got from my
>> > provider gives a lot better picture/motion quality. (It can upscale to
>> > 1080i).
>> > Though, when comparing HD channels I see very little difference...
>> > MythTV with VDPAU does quite a good job here!
> I didn't see you mention anywhere the resolution and/or bitrate that the SD
> recordings were captured with, nor the capture card/method.
> I find that SD upscaled on my C2D 2200 frontend to a 21.6" LCD connected via
> HDMI->DVI cable (1680x1050) look decent from a few feet away.  Granted, HD
> programs look much better. basically photo quality, but SD doesn't look
> anywhere near as bad to me as what you're describing.
> (Note: That's an 0.21-fixes box, last updated about a month ago - if you
> need an exact revision or playback profile settings, I'll check later
> tonight!)
I have a Philips receiver. There is no difference if I watch HD
through receiver or mythbox. But the receiver  is upscaling SD much
much better than mythtv. SD over mythtv is OK if you are a feet away,
but SD through receiver is still much better.