[mythtv-users] Inconsistent treatment of starttime/endtime vs runtime

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Apr 21 19:48:21 UTC 2009

    > Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:31:07 -0400
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > On 04/21/2009 03:19 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > > From: "Michael T. Dean"
    > >     > IMHO, the only patch that should be considered is one that stores the
    > >     > runtime in the DB and displays it for the user to see when choosing
    > >     > appropriate start early/end late times.
    > >
    > > If a patch implementing this has some nontrivial chance of being
    > > accepted, then that's what I'll write.  It's certainly the only clean
    > > way I can see of even making the data available to any other attempts
    > > to cope with the problem.  Would it be presumptious to assume that I
    > > can call the column "runtime" without colliding with anyone's plans?

    > runtime is a reserved word in MySQL 5.0+.

Damn.

("sd_runtime" seems really klunky and embeds the provider name into
the field.  Maybe I'll try that anyway and someone can change it to
something's that's actually a good idea.)

    > 					       However, the meaning of the
    > value is likely not useful in Myth--as described in my other message.
    > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/379839#379839

I saw that, and as you can tell, I'm obviously still confused.

Tell you what---I'll whip up a patch, make sure it at least does
something for me, and put it in trac, and then people can chew on
it.  We seem to be communicating very badly here, and I still think
that perhaps we're somehow talking about two different things.

(At the very least, simply adding a database column seems benign,
since without further code Myth will completely ignore its contents
and thus it can't introduce any changes in behavior.  Of course, it's
not terribly useful on its own, but maybe that will change.)

    > (And, yes, I admit to being a bit too upset when I wrote that message
    > after having wasted a lot of time I could have spent elsewhere.  I
    > apologize for the tone, though I still agree with the message.)

Apology accepted, and I hope you understand that I still mean no ill
will towards anyone in this whole long-drawn-out affair.

Peace?