[mythtv-users] Is my video card toast?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 06:14:36 UTC 2009

Hi list,

Today was a particularly hot day and my apartment gets even hotter
than outside temps.  I came back home to see my mythbox running very
slowly and not really responding (even when I would fire up an ssh
shell, keystrokes were taking forever to enter).

I checked top and Xorg was eating pretty much all the CPU (around
98%); this was just when myth was running but not playing any
video/music/tv, etc.  I also saw that my Xorg.log had the AGP GART
line below many times, with it broken up once by the driver
encountered too many errors, failing back to legacy PCI mode:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered too many errors.  Falling
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     back to legacy PCI mode.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.

When I finally got myth running, the screen had a very weird colored
static pixelation in a few of the square areas that the menu and the
icons are.  The clock part was perfectly visible.  I could not
navigate through the menus.

I have an 6200 fx card with a passively cooled heat sink.  The mythbox
is small and compact and there is not much free room in it limiting
airflow, although, I have never really seen the temps beyond what they
should be (then again, as I said, the apartment was particularly hot
tonight).  I opened the box up and reseated the video card (in the AGP
slot).

Is it possible the card just got too hot and died?  If so, I assume it
is a goner, but is there anything else I should try before replacing
it?