[mythtv-users] Poor HD Playback

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 20:46:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> I don't think  you have enough CPU for Yadiffx2 .  Although that is a
>> powerful system, I think Yadiffx2  requires a lot.  I have a AMD 5400 so it
>> is not as much as you have but I use Bob2x.  Everything else is inferior or
>> produces the kind of behavior you are seeing.  Before making a custom
>> profile, I was using CPU++ and it worked fine.
>> Allen
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it just motion? Sounds like interlaced content as you mentioned
>>> that various deinterlacing settings helped. I had the best luck with
>>> Bob2x before I went to VDPAU for playback. I find deinterlacing to
>>> look better for me when using VDPAU than using the software
>>> deinterlacers. But you do have to run trunk or the backport repository
>>> to use it. Your hardware is capable, so it's an option to consider.
>
> I switched from using ffmpeg to xvmc and have tried Bob2x.  This has improved things, but it is still not smooth.  720P programs do seem better than 1080i, but even 720P isn't smooth.  NBC and CBS programs seem to be the most twitchy, and NBC programs have periodic bad frames with Bob2x.  These bad frames happen in the same place each time I play back the recording, so it is something about the encoding that Bob2x doesn't handle.
>
> When I press 'M' and check the Video Scan setting, NBC programs (1080i) are being auto-detected as (P) progressive.  I switch this to interlaced, but notice no difference.  Other 1080i networks (PBS, CW) are properly detected as interlaced.  Does this have anything to do with this?

What actually happens with NBC (and CBS I believe) is that the auto
detect is constantly switching from progressive to interlaced, as both
NBC and CBS mix progressive frames into their interlaced content.
You're probably just catching it when it's set to P.

I posted a hack to lock it into interlaced for such video here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376812#376812

...however you can easily find out if that's causing any of your
problems simply by going into video scan in the playback menu and
setting it to interlaced (normal).  In my case, this switching back
and forth caused major issues with Paul's new deinterlacer.

Tom