[mythtv-users] DirecTV and HD

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Apr 20 15:21:40 UTC 2009

On 04/20/2009 10:50 AM, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> This fall I'd like to upgrade my DirecTV to HD. What are my options
> going to be for recording from 2 or 3 stb? I think all but one of my
> front ends is already capable - but the main one is ubuntu on an
> appletv so that one will most likely have to be replaced.
>
> My backend is a 3ghz P4HT I supposed it will depend on the type of
> capture devices required if that will be fast enough.
>
> I'm looking for information from anyone that has done this or has
> already researched this type of conversion.
> I've search the archives and only found a few scattered tidbits of
> information - so I got thinking I better start gathering information
> now rather than later.

Right now you only option is to use the Hauppauge HD-PVR and record from
the component outputs of your HD receivers.  You could also use an
R-5000 enabled Directv receiver with an available patch, but that will
only allow you to receive MPEG2 HD channels (the NY and LA network
channels, TNT, ESPN, HDNET, maybe another channel or two, not many).

Using the HD-PVR you will currently need to be able to control your
Directv receivers via serial connection.  See this page for more info:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB .  There has
been work to enable the IR blaster on the HD-PVR, but I am not sure
where that stands right now.

Backend speed shouldn't matter.

--
David