[mythtv-users] Audio sync and VDPAU

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 07:24:00 UTC 2009

2009/4/20 Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>

> Hello,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 x64 with Medibuntu and Jean-Yves' "stable"
> repository.
>
> I have DVB-T and DVB-S in the UK.
>
> The graphics card is a 512 MB 8400GS
>
> http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc
>
> As I have no 1080i content, just SD, the TV profile is quite simple:
>
> if rez > W:0 H:0 -> vdpau & vdpau , Advanced (2X, HW)
>
> No compositing in X. OpenGL video sync is ON. Extra Audio buffering ON.
> Aggressive sound card buffering OFF.
>
> I have noticed that when watching LiveTV, using pause and fast forward
> regularly, I usually end-up with a pretty bad sync between audio and
> video. I can correct it, and it's about 100ms.
>
> It also happens sometimes with recorded programs.
>
> I have nothing obvious in the frontend logs.
>
> Is this because of a bad setting on my part, as I have not really heard
> anybody complain about this?

I see exactly the same thing... Everything is fine if vdpau is disabled. In
my instance, audio is about 120ms ahead of video but not all the time...

Not solely related to this but I also have to turn off vdpau when playing
back certain xvid files (downloaded) as there is a lot of tearing that I do
not see when playing back mythtv recordings. I have made the changes to
xorg.conf as suggested in the documentation (composite stuff). I am using
the internal player.

Cheers

Phil