[mythtv-users] HDHomerun and Laptop Questions

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 20:24:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have an HP dv9620us laptop with a busted screen.  To continue to use an
otherwise good laptop, I'm thinking about using it as a MythTV FE/BE.  If I
connected an HDHomerun, would this be capable of capturing and displaying
cable HD content?

Laptop Specs:
  * Microprocessor:    1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology
TL-58
  * Microprocessor Cache:    512 KB + 512 KB L2 cache
  * Memory:    2048 MB DDR2
  * Video Graphics:    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA)
  * Video Memory:    Up to 559MB
  * Hard Drive:    240 GB (5400 RPM) Dual HDD - 120 GB + 120 GB(SATA)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01162170&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3548479

I also had a question about the HDHomerun.  The specs on silicondust.comstate:

  * 8-VSB (ATSC over-the-air digital TV)
  * QAM64/256 (unencrypted digital cable TV)

I do not plan to use an antenna.  Would I be able to receive both
unencrypted digital AND analog digital over both of the HDHomerun inputs.  I
always assumed that I'd be able to tune in analog cable, but after reading
the specs, now I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Greg