[mythtv-users] Problem with new frontend

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 13:00:30 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/19/2009 12:13 AM, Harry Devine wrote:
>> I just installed a spare PC I put together as a new frontend and I'm
>> having some trouble.  I installed Mythbuntu 8.10 (x64) on it, and
>> when the package manager ran, I had it install all of the latest
>> packages.  Not sure what they all were, but thought I'd mention it.
>> However, now I've noticed that the frontend process never starts
>> automatically.  If I try to run it manually, I see on the terminal
>> window that it trys to connect to the database a few times (and I
>> know that works), then I see the following errors:
>>
>> No theme dir: /home/hdevine/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu-8.04
>> Switching to square mode (Mythbuntu-8.04)
>> Using the QT painter
>> mythtv: could not connect to socket
>> mythtv: No such file or directory
>> lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
>> JoystickMenuClient Error: Joystick disabled - failed to read
>> /home/hdevine/.mythtv/joystickmenurc
>> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 8463, errno 32
>>
>> 1) I'm running 8.10, so I have no ideas what the 8.04 errors mean;
>
> See below.
>
>> 2) I don't have a remote on that machine so I don't know why the lirc
>> errors are happening;
>
> That's just telling you that Myth was unable to use LIRC, so if you're
> not using LIRC, it's information, not an error.
>
>> and 3) why would some of the required directories be there (i.e. "no
>> such file or directory") on a pre-packaged distro?
>
> mythfrontend -O Theme=blue
>
> then go to appearance and change the Theme
>
> Mike

I tried that and it still didn't work.  I get the same errors.  The
frontend background actually flashed for a split-second then went away.
I captured everything into a log file using: "mythfrontend -O Theme=blue
-l <log_file> -v all", but my original post containing that log got
rejected due to it being larger than 40kb.  I can send it to anyone
separately if they want to see it.

One other note:  when I first installed this frontend, I was able to get
the frontend working.  I could browse around recordings, weather, etc.
I think that after the Package Manager ran and installed the new batch
of updates is when it stopped.

Thanks,
Harry