[mythtv-users] MythTV and Comcast (SF Bay Area) transition to digital

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Apr 19 04:59:21 UTC 2009

Michael C. Smith wrote:
> When I (repeatedly) scan for channels on "[ DVB : 0 ]", I have to
> continually reset the frequency table to "Cable", the modulation to
> "Cable (QAM-256)" and the ATSC Channel Separator to "(5.1) Period".  I'm
> would have thought that MythTV would remember the settings.

Nope.
> I run mythfilldatabase to populate the listings, but the listing data
> for the digital channels is VERY sparse.  For example, I get listings
> for channel 2 (KTVU), but no data for 2_1 (KTVUHD) or 2_2 (KTVU-SD).
> The only digital channel listings I get are for channels 89, 89#6,
> 119#0, 119#2, 119#3, 119#4 and 128#0.

Mythfilldatabase will try to match up shows where it can, but for most
channels, you will have to go in and manually set a XMLID.  Go onto your
SD account, open up your digital listing, and mouse-over a channel to
get its ID.  Then, apply it to the channel either in the mythtv-setup
channel editor, or in the editor in mythweb.  You should go back through
the ones that have data, and confirm that the XMLIDs were applied properly.
> Mythweb shows my scheduled recordings will all use the PVR-250.
> Conflicts aren't resolved by using both tuners.  (Neither of these are
> unexpected, given the lack of "digital" listing data.)

Do you have your recordings set to only record on a specific channel?
Since you're using separate lineups for analog and digital (as you
should), the analog version and the digital version are seen by MythTV
as two independent channels.
> When trying to record a program, I get the following results:
>
> I try to record something from channel 2, and MythTV uses the PVR-250,
> not the HD-5500.

As above, you will have to tell it to record from any channel, or from
channel 2_1.
> I record something (The Bernstein Bears) on channel 119#0 (Sprout) and I
> actually get the Home Shopping Network???

MythTV only knows what the cable company tells it.  With digital TV, you
have several channels within a single frequency band.  If the cableco
doesn't tell myth what the channels are, myth will define them based off
the frequency.  While Sprout may be cable channel 119 on the lineup, HSN
is on frequency 119.  As mentioned above, check the channels against
their given XMLIDs and make sure they match up.