[mythtv-users] Why has no one implemented subtext commercial filtering?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:54:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 7:44 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, April 17, 2009 3:50 am, Rafael Moslin wrote:
>> > Damn, I "top posted" in my rush, I'll prepare to be flamed by all and
>> > sundry, sometimes I think I'm the only person with a modern email reader
>> > that groups conversations...
>>
>> You're not, but it's good to be considerate of people who don't use such
>> software.  Especially people who read in digest mode, where skipping
>> excessive untrimmed quoted content is painful.
>
> IMO, digest mode is really the best reason for not top posting. Since it's not threaded having context right there is very useful to the reader.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I know I  have chimed in on this too many times but to my taste it is
so much easier to read top posted threads.  The most current is at the
top and if you want background you just look down the page.  Take this
post for example, what a waste of time it would be to read it from the
top.  We just are not talking about what was being discussed at the
beginning and have not been for many messages.

As more people use portable devices like my ipod where I just cannot
figure out how to bottom post, I think this is just plain out dated
and whoever is enforcing this should periodically review if they are
still doing the right thing. It is also far more difficult to read
bottom posted material with small devices like ipods as you have to
scroll all the way down to see the good stuff.

The fact is that I think bottom posting is a pain far worse than any
bother of reading top posted material.  Listen, it is natural to top
post.  Gmail is set up that way by default and ipods are impossible to
use any other way (again, as far as I can figure out).  At some point
is may be appropriate to quit enforcing this rule.  I will leave it up
to the list owner to make the call but my vote is well known.

Allen