[mythtv-users] HDhomerun QAM scan works from command line but fails from mythtv-setup?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Apr 18 01:37:28 UTC 2009

> When I run a scan using the hdhomerun_config
> program it successfully finds several encrypted and unencrypted
> channels.  But when I do a scan through mythtv-setup it finds nothing.

Have you made sure both tuners are working properly? Use
hdhomerun_config and do the scans against both tuner0 and tuner1.
Perhaps myth is using the opposite tuner than you scanned with, and
there could be either a hardware or a wiring problem with that other
tuner. Also, have you provided a device identifier in the setup
screen? I think I remember a thread here where someone said you used
to be able to use an IP address, but now it requires the 8 character
device ID. Perhaps you found some out of date documentation that said
the IP address was fine.

Other than that, I don't know. I've always had trouble getting the
scanner to work reliably with the HDHomerun. Sometime it works,
sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it crashes. The most common result
is that it successfully finds the channel but for some reason doesn't
extract the channel # and callsign info. Then I end up with generic
names like 115#2 even though the hdhomerun_config scanner can
successfully determine that channel 115 program 2 is actually "202
WJBK" or something like that. If I toy with it enough, it usually
eventually works right, but it's one of those things that, once it
works I never want to touch it again unless it breaks.

--
Ron