[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

William william_munson at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 23:04:40 UTC 2009

Steve V wrote:
> I am trying to set up a backend which will be monitorless and also
> without keyboard and mouse. I have MythBuntu 8.10 installed.
>
> I am planning to use VNC to manage the backend. VNC works fine if I
> first boot the backend with a monitor attached.
>
> Problem is that the backend will not start up completely without a
> monitor. In this state I can ping the backend and I can connect via
> Putty, but, Mythfrontend cannot connect to the backend and VNC server
> has not started.
>
> When the the backend is started without a monitor and I then connect a
> monitor It looks like I am in an X window (newbie on Linux so
> hopefully that is the correct description) with warnings about no
> monitor and that resolution has been set to default, pushing Ok or
> cancel I get an error (from the monitor) that the frequency is out of
> range. Only choice is to reboot with the monitor connected.
>
> I expect there is some setting that I can set which tells system not
> to check for a monitor (and perhaps to set to last known good
> reolution/output).
>
> I would appreciate any help.
I run a monitorless combined front/backend. Actually there is a tv
attached via a home made vga to rgbhv converter cable but as far as the
video card is concerned, nothing is attached. Attached below is my
xorg.conf which runs my custom modeline but you could easily modify it
to use your supported modes quite easily.

-------------------- xorg.conf -----------------------

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Wed Oct  1
15:09:35 PDT 2008

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Monitor0"
    Displaysize    824    468
    Horizsync    30.0    -    83.0
    Vertrefresh    56.0    -    75.0
    Option        "dpms"    "0"
    modeline  "my540p" 37.26 824 944 1048 1104 468 514 528 563 +hsync +vsync
    Mode "my1080i"
    Dotclock    74.52
    Htimings    1640    1888    2096    2208
    Vtimings    952    1044    1060    1126
    Flags        "-HSync"    "-VSync"    "Interlace"
    EndMode
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Defaultcolordepth    24
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes        "my1080i"    "my540p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load    "glx"
    Disable    "dri2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Option        "UseEvents"    "true"
    Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
    Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"
    Option        "NoLogo"    "1"
    Option        "ConnectedMonitor"    "CRT"
    Option        "UseEDID"    "FALSE"
    Option        "XvmcUsesTextures"    "TRUE"
    Option        "ExactModeTimingsDVI"    "TRUE"
    Option        "ConnectToAcpid"    "FALSE"
    Vendorname    "All"
    Boardname    "All"
    Option      "NvAGP" "0"
    Driver    "nvidia"