[mythtv-users] Nvidia card temps

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Apr 17 21:54:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 16:39 -0500, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:05:33PM +0100, Rafael Moslin wrote:
> > I've got a passive 8500GT that sits around the 50-60c mark all of
> the time,
> > does VDPAU as well but only if I run Mythfrontend in an SSH session
> on my
> > laptop but I (sarcastically) suspect that's not the cards fault.
>
> My passive 8400gs has always run below 50C.
>
> After beefing up my case cooling, it generally never gets above 45C
> and usually runs at 42C or lower. Playing a BD rip with the mythtv
> player doesn't increase the GPU temperature more than 1C.
>
> [deletia]
>
> I would be seriously worried about that GPU.
>
> My own challenge has been CPU cooling and I added a couple more
> fans to the case to address that. I got a 5C improvement in my
> GPU temperature from that too.

I really believe that we are working within the thermal envelope of our
GPUs. We should not worry about that.

I added a fan to my system not because I got worried about the GPU, but
because its heat was transfering to the CPU, and that part annoyed me
because it made the fan spin up, generating noise that I absolutely want
to avoid. Yes, i worry about noise more than I worry about 5 degrees or
fluctuations.

I am going to use my trusted Dremel and its cutting disc to cut out the
case in front of the fan as it is blowing through 2/3 of idiotic holes
blocking the flow and generating noise, 1/3 against no holes, for
nothing. Then I am going to install finger guards.

My case looks nice enough, but it is really impractical...

Nico
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/