[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 21:16:56 UTC 2009

I am trying to set up a backend which will be monitorless and also without keyboard and mouse. I have MythBuntu 8.10 installed.

I am planning to use VNC to manage the backend. VNC works fine if I first boot the backend with a monitor attached.

Problem is that the backend will not start up completely without a monitor. In this state I can ping the backend and I can connect via Putty, but, Mythfrontend cannot connect to the backend and VNC server has not started.

When the the backend is started without a monitor and I then connect a monitor It looks like I am in an X window (newbie on Linux so hopefully that is the correct description) with warnings about no monitor and that resolution has been set to default, pushing Ok or cancel I get an error (from the monitor) that the frequency is out of range. Only choice is to reboot with the monitor connected.

I expect there is some setting that I can set which tells system not to check for a monitor (and perhaps to set to last known good reolution/output).

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Steve

      Get fit, feel better! All the help you need at Yahoo!Xtra Health - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health