[mythtv-users] Why has no one implemented subtext commercial filtering?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Apr 17 16:02:04 UTC 2009

Rafael Moslin wrote:

> The logo's is prompt about disappearing with the actual commercials in the
> UK but do come back not just for the break bumper (or "Optic" for the really
> old UK word or "Idents" which is usually what they actually are) but also
> for all of the station program trailers that precede the bump.

Yep. Usually. Except when they don't, of course. Five plays fast and loose with
it's logos, sometime losing them halfway through the ad breaks then not
reappearing until a minute or two after the program restarts.

ITV and Ch4 are usually very consistent with their ad breaks. The moment I see
the ident (whatever) appearing it's 4 then right-arrow and I get the end of the
ident before the next section of program. Works consistently except for the last
ad break, which I suspect is adjusted to take account of varying program lengths.

The reason we don't have decent ad break detection in the UK, or other places
for that matter, is that there isn't a dev living here who is interested in
fixing the problem.

What we can do, however, is offer to supply samples of program-to-break and
break-to-program transitions so that the experts in these matters can analyse
them and provide the appropriate fix so that myth can take care of them for us.

Now I'm sure that would be counted as fair use, don't you?

--

Mike Perkins