[mythtv-users] mythbackend stops responding with HDPVR

P S guierrmo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 00:29:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you notice the problem, check to see if any other myth related
> processes are running:   ps aux | grep myth
>
> Even with current Myth trunk, the version of ffmpeg in use does not
> handle interlaced H.264 from the HD-PVR perfectly.  This can result in
> the preview generator and commercial flagger occasionally "freaking
> out" and causing a drain on system resources.
>
> For me, the preview generator (in particular) can suck the life out of
> my backend.  I ended up tweaking the preview generator to run "niced",
> as well as setting up a cron job to kill "runaway" preview generator
> jobs.
>
> Janne is planning on a ffmpeg re-sync before the next version of Myth
> is rolled out.  I am hoping that will solve this problem.
>

> John

I'll give it a look see next time I see it.

The directv box is forced to 720P.

One thing I did notice last time after posting, the backend is holding
onto video0 device, even when a recording is not running.  When
everything is running ok, the backend process releases the device when
a recording is not scheduled.