[mythtv-users] HDHR working but channel mapping is incorrect

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Thu Apr 16 23:03:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 14:47 -0700, JS Boyd wrote:

> The issue I've noted given I've worked on different Comcast QAM systems
> nearby is that while the Schedules Direct listings are correct for the
> Virtual Channels listed by Comcast on their cable boxes, the actual QAM
> -> Virtual Channel mappings can be different in the SAME zipcode.

interesting

> That means that a finer granularity of region (at least zip+4 zipcodes)
> would have to built into any service created. That also means that many
> MythTV users will find that they are the only ones in a particular
> region with specific QAM->Virtual Channel mappings, so they'd be the
> only ones posting their own mappings.

that's ok. we want to avoid duplicated effort. if you are the only one
there there isn't any duplication :-)

> Right now, SiliconDusts QAM listings service is complete wrong for my
> area.  That's not really their fault, but it makes that offering pretty
> useless.

I'm not sure what the QAM listings service is - is it something
relatively new?

> Another issue is quality control. I personally do not map a number of
> channels that are available simply because I don't grok the languages on
> those channels.  We'd need to create some kind of system that would
> resolve different user lineups.

I think there is an ignore flag now, just don't mess with that and
everything you ignore should stay ignored.

> Also a standard would need to be instituted for channel number to
> channel mappings. I personally make most QAM channels something like
> 44.5, so I can see that they are not the analog channel 44. This makes
> it really was to see what tuner was used for a recording without looking
> and if I get a recording I don't expect. That just means Comcast
> remapped the QAM channels again.

Rather than that perhaps we could use the callsign to key off of? When
stations move on the cable the callsign doesn't change. Keep channel
numbers irrelevant to myth like they are now (irrelevant internally). We
would have to differentiate between cable and various antenna sources of
the same callsign. Antenna stations aren't preoblem are they, they stay
at the same frequency?

> I like the idea of pooled QAM channel lineups keyed by the Schedules
> Direct listings plus some added region info, but I fear that it would
> not help much given all the different mappings I've seen just around me.
> Certainly, we could add a patch to Myth that would notice a change and
> upload the lineup automatically. But I think that is the easiest part.
>
> Of course, even downloading and trying out 5 different mappings would be
> easier and faster than keying them all in yourself.

oh yeah!