[mythtv-users] OT: Webcam as "security" cam

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 16 19:01:22 UTC 2009

Another Sillyname wrote:
> 2009/4/15 Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com>:
>>> I have to say that I suggest using IP based cameras though, just keeps
>>> the amount of breakables in the chain down.
>>>
>>> Regards
>> What are IP cams? I was planning on buying a couple webcams tonight from the
>> support hardware list to test the whole thing out on the weekend but I'll
>> get those if it makes more sense.
> Bobby
>
> As you have a rogers account I'm assuming you're based in Canada?
>
> If yes then can I suggest you try to pick up a cheap 2nd hand Axis
> 2100 (pay no more then $100 - check completed auctions to see what
> they sell for there) to see how IP cameras work, when you've finished
> playing you'll get your money back selling it on E-Bay.
>
> The Axis 210 and 211 series are great cameras and the new ones just
> about to be launched based upon a new chipset have more sensitivity
> and work in much lower light levels.
>
> To see what cameras are out there live on the web the following link
> will help...
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=intitle%3A%22Live+View+%2F+-+AXIS%22+|+inurl%3Aview%2Fview.shtml^
>
> Axis are the market leader in IP cams (Sony, Panny et al are also
> popular) and though they are called cameras they're really Linux
> servers with a lens attached....reduces the load on your backed server
> dramatically.

Another good unit is the D-Link DCS-G900 which is also wireless.

This unit connects by ethernet or wirelss and has an internal
web-server. You just contact it using a browser. Works with the 'Motion'
package or under ZoneMinder. Attach it to your home router, set up
security, and sign up with DynDNS for ~$20 a year and you can see what
the dog is doing from the office....etc. etc.  The power wart is 5Volts
at 2.5A so it draws very little power.

Geoff