[mythtv-users] Am I nuts going for Mythbuntu 9.04 on a Via SP13000 system?

David Scammell davescammell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:23:21 UTC 2009

2009/4/15 Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com>

> I needed to upgrade a combined front/backend running on a Via SP130000
> based System.
>
> Due to lots of reasons, I tend to not upgrade once a system works (if
> is not broken no need for me to fix it).  WAF means downtime is not a
> popular option :-) So I am looking for something that is easy and
> stable (might rule out Fedora)
>
> I need to use Xvmc, which presently works, and I understand works on
> Mythbuntu.
>
> Is this a sane idea?
>
> Thoughts welcome.

Greg hi,

(Greg and I know each other)

I suggest you speak to a mutual friend of ours who also has a via board, he
had some dire trouble with Xvmc on his machine and is not out of the woods
himself yet on this score. The Via systems I cannot report on from my
personal experience and you may not have any problems but ymmv.

I would suggest from my experience to find a way of dual booting, use a
spare old harddrive for the rootfs (or something complex like
pxe+iscsi/nfs?) so you can easily go back to how it was with a reboot.

Are you using lvm, if so consider snapshotting your media and databases
areas and perform trial runs on the snapshots, you can easily backout as
your original data is unharmed. Saying that, be very careful about any
hardware changes you make, even to the odd bios tweak that seems like a good
idea at the time might cause problems with the old system if you have to
backout. Also checkout

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

The two scripts enclosed there (which work on 0.21) are gold and ease
migrations greatly if going between myth versions, which I'm not sure you
are with this upgrade. I'm a debian man so I'd probably recommend lenny,
latest release (5.0.1) which came out last week but do the research first re
via+xvmc and it.

Thats all right now.
cheers
dave s