[mythtv-users] My Guide is 1 hr forward?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Apr 15 17:59:46 UTC 2009

Mw wrote:
> John Pilkington wrote:
>> This is strange.  I'm not running the CentOS box continuously now, and
>> I noticed that the screen-clock still showed UTC when I first booted
>> after the BST change.  It stayed that way through several reboots and
>> various system updates, but seems ok after today's reboot.
>>
>> Yesterday I found that the 'Administration > Date and Time > NTP >
>> Advanced > Use Local Time Source' box was unaccountably ticked, and I
>> unticked it.  Maybe that's why, after the reboot, the time seems ok
>> again.
>
> If my dodgy memory is correct, all versions of Fedora (that I have
> tried, incl Cent5) prior to FC10 had the Local Source option selected by
> default at install. Not sure of 9 having bumped my system from 8
> directly to 10.  I always wondered why such an esoteric option was
> enabled by default in Anaconda.
>
> --
> mw

That could well be true and would explain things from long ago:-

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/241534#241534

Esoteric would not be my preferred choice of words for that default
setting...

At that time I came to the conclusion that ntp was not working because
of the fairly frequent rebooting, and I used occasional runs (as root)
of either

   ntpd -q
   or
  /usr/sbin/ntpdate -b 0.pool.ntp.org

   which was suggested for use at boot time and gives more feedback.

In fc10 I haven't noticed an ntp problem, but with ntp all has clearly
not always been as it seemed.

John P