[mythtv-users] Why has no one implemented subtext commercial filtering?

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:02:36 UTC 2009

Why has nobody implemented a commercial filter based on subtext?

I don't know enough to tell for certain if it would work, so maybe someone else here who knows a good deal about it can tell me if it would or not. :)

As far as I can tell, it could potentially be 100% accurate (or at least not get false negatives), would work on live and recorded feeds, would get around HDCP for filtering live feeds, and could all be done for free as open source.

For example, say you have a NMT device (like popcorn hour) with some form of TV-in, whether it be coax, non-HDCP HDMI, or whatever.
The NMT device receives a live TV signal in reduced quality (since it does not have HDCP). However, all it needs is the subtext. It then checks the subtext to see if it's a commercial. If a commercial is found, it sends a signal to a small device that switches between the live hdmi tv feed or something from the NMT. If a commercial is found, it switches off the hdmi feed to the tv and shows something else.
That's for live tv.

Subtext could also be used for recorded stuff to filter out beforehand; it could be implemented as part of Mythtv for example.

To use subtext, the system could rely on positive and negative identification.
Commercial ID: People could contribute known commercials to a growing list on the internet.  The subtext data could be stored, which can then be used by the system for filtering.
Show ID: Additionally, the system could rely on free subtitle data for known shows to know when the show is no longer playing (and thus must be a commercial): http://www.subtitleonline.com/

Auto-detect: By having known subtitle data for common shows, the system could actually add commercials to the database automatically.  When someone runs a filter on a recorded video, the system could compare it to known subtext for that show and figure out where there is subtext that does not fit the show (which then must be a commercial and can then be marked for addition to the commercial list).