[mythtv-users] HDHR working but channel mapping is incorrect

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Apr 15 09:47:06 UTC 2009

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Preston Crow
> <pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net> wrote:
>> Now that's a great idea.  There is some risk that the mappings will be
>> different within the same listing area, so it might not work everywhere,
>> but it would be really helpful where it does work.
>>
>> This could be taken a lot further, though.  For example, it would be
>> nice to simply have the information as to whether the channel is
>> available in unencrypted QAM or not, so that Myth can use that to
>> determine if the channel should go to the QAM lineup or the PVR lineup.
>> Might as well specify also if it's available as an analog channel, and
>> if it's an HD channel.
>>
>> The other thing I would like to have is information as to which
>> subscriber plans each channel is part of, so that I can quickly mask out
>> the channels that aren't in my package.
>>
>> All this is a bit of developement work for Schedules Direct, and a bit
>> of work for a few people to get the data in, but it could be really
>> helpful for everyone.
>
> just want to make sure that people are aware of pages like this on the wiki:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area%2C_CA

Yes, but given the size of the problem, that/those table(s) could get pretty
large, and people would (i) have to know that they exist, and (ii) plough
through them looking for their own area.

That's what we use computers for. The suggestion, in concrete terms, would be
for a user to be able to (or automatically, perhaps, if permission is given) to
upload to SD their channel setup as detailed above. SD could then add this
information to a database and make it available to all comers. If the
information is taken from the mythconverg database then it can be guaranteed to
be in a consistent format for SD to use. Got to be a winner, although as someone
pointed out, would involve dev time.

I'm in the UK, so can only look on with envy at the joined-up system SD already
gives users across the pond. It's possible, however, that a similar if
simplified system might be of use in at least the UK and Oz, if not other
places. Thoughts, people?

--

Mike Perkins