[mythtv-users] Block HD Commercials?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Apr 15 03:04:18 UTC 2009

Kevin Ar18 wrote:
> Sorry about the blank message...  Firefox doesn't work right with
> hotmail. :(
>

> Anyways, I want something that will block commercials on live feeds
> and DVR recorded content.  However, the problem I keep finding during
> my research is HDCP.  Supposedly, it hasn't been cracked yet and that
> means no free software can record HDCP protected content.  Is this
> correct?
>
> Anyways, I don't suppose there are alternative solutions that have
> been implemented that don't even need HDCP.  For example what about
> using subtitles?  You have one device with a cheap HD tuner that
> receives a non-HDCP signal that has been downgraded.  It looks at the
> subtitles and compares it to a list (like a spellcheker).  If it's a
> commercial it then sends a signal to another device that immediately
> cuts off the full HD HDCP signal going to the TV, thus blocking
> commercials in real-time and replacing them with whatever you want.
First, there is no such thing as 'HDCP protected content'.  HDCP is a
handshake and encryption mechanism for DVI/HDMI, and only exists on the
raw data stream between the video source, and the output.  Your cable
box, commercial DVR, Blu-Ray player, computer running Vista, etc...
applies HDCP as it exists the machine.  You can record HDCP protected
video streams by running it through a HD-Fury, and then capturing it
with a component capture device such as a HDPVR.

MythTV supports commercial flagging.  It will scan the video, identify
what it thinks are commercials, and then you have the option of skipping
past them during playback.