[mythtv-users] Kill-a-Watt Deal @ NewEgg

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 14 16:36:22 UTC 2009

On 04/14/2009 10:17 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Much as I dislike plugging vendors:
>
> Maybe a bit OT, but I think most users here could/should have one of these,
> it's good to know how much power you are actually using.
>
> NewEgg has a special on Kill-a-Watt units for $19.99
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL041409&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL041409-_-Gadgets-_-L2A-_-82715001
>
> This appears to be a "real" price, not "after rebate".

$19.99 is generally about the same price newegg offers the Kill-A-Watt.
The special, however, is the free shipping promo code for the
Kill-A-Watt.  At checkout, enter the promo code: EMCLRMR29 .

Though you might find one for a couple dollars less sometime, generally,
you'll pay $20 with free shipping or $14-$15 with $5-$6 shipping with
most any deal at newegg, buy.com, amazon.

FWIW, I /highly/ recommend getting one and opening your eyes to how much
electricity(/money) you're wasting by running your Myth boxes all the
time.  Then--if you choose to continue running them all the time--get a
good, efficient (80 PLUS) power supply unit (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+1409730089&Configurator=&Subcategory=58&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
) and--when you decide to upgrade your next computer--consider getting a
nice low-TDP (like a 45W) CPU with efficient chipset and possibly
low-power-usage hard drives and... (and ensure you deploy the
power-efficient system in place of the system that runs most often).

Thanks to my Kill-A-Watt, I'm a big believer in the benefit of a)
measuring and b) buying with an eye toward energy efficiency.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/371460#371460 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/374590#374590 for the
results of some of my measurements.

(I'm actually considering upgrading a bunch of my computers to get the
power savings.  Though the power savings won't pay for the computers
themselves, I'll get systems that cost me less money to run /and/ the
benefits of faster/more-capable systems.)

Mike