[mythtv-users] Bad DVB-T picture quality on Nova T-500

Jeppe Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Tue Apr 14 16:13:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 07:45 +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:29:21 am Jeppe Madsen wrote:
> > > 2) Is it a signal problem? Sometimes the recordings are flawless,
> > >    sometimes they are all messed up.
> >
> > Sounds very much like it.
> >

> > >    I think there may be a
> > >    correlation with the weather conditions....
> >

> > I have one marginal channel and it gets *much* worse when it raining.
> >
> > How many tuners is your signal being split amongst? do you have a
> > powered
> > splitter? if not perhaps you should.
> >
> > Might be worth while getting a aerial tech to check your antenna and
> > wiring.
>
> Change your wiring, if needed/possible.
>
> At least change all the plugs to properly mounted F plugs.
>
> Remove all supermarket grade splitters, with and without power, use
> instead high-grade splitter, low insertion, using F plugs.
>
> Install a proper masthead amplifier, as close to the antenna element of
> your aerial as possible. Make sure that the power supply injector is
> properly connected.
>
> Make sure that you are using the LNA on the Nova-T 500.

I recently changed from using a single antenna to two antennas combined
using a triax reverse splitter with f-connectors. This increased the signal
quality as reported by myth from about 59% to 70% but I still see a lot of
errors....I believe i have turned on lna (see previous posts).

The only tuners on the cable are the Nova-T 500.

The only wiring not changed is about 5m between the antennas & the splitter
(not easy to reach the antenna :-) This may be the next steps as well as
trying a real amplifier instead of the reverse splitter....

/Jeppe