[mythtv-users] Software RAID5 faster than RAID10?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 13 21:35:45 UTC 2009

On Monday 13 April 2009 14:02:49 Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Ben Curtis wrote:
> > <snip>

> Of course this is all moot for storing recordings.  One independent disk
> for each tuner that could be recording simultaneously is the ideal setup.

Of course that depends on what you mean by "ideal". As long as your storage
system can handle the maximum possible demand if all your tuners are
recording, there is really no need to go beyond that. You also have to
consider playing back multiple files, if your system allows that.

What you describe would provide no redundancy, and would be wasteful of power
and space.

I don't think there is any "one size fits all" storage solution, a major
factor is how important is television to you, personally if I lost all my
stored video it wouldn't be a big deal, just an excuse to build a bigger,
better box.

Anything I really want to save I archive off to DVD or tape anyway. Every
drive ever made will fail eventually.

--
beww
beww at beww.org