[mythtv-users] Inconsistent treatment of starttime/endtime vs runtime

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Apr 12 10:58:32 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/12/2009 12:07 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>
>> I would argue that Myth should take the max of the two values and use
>> that in computing the endtime of the recording.  (It should -not- just
>> use runTime!  If runTime is too short, the recording will certainly be
>> truncated---I'd certainly rather that Myth took the maximally-conservative
>> approach and possibly record too much than the reverse.)
>>

> So, you're saying that it should ignore the starttime of the following
> program--so that the guy who wants to watch that show writes an e-mail
> to the list saying that the program was clearly listed with the proper
> starttime in the raw data, but for some reason, Myth changed the
> starttime to the incorrect starttime, so he lost the beginning of his show?
>
> The problem is that the entire schedule--not just the schedule for
> /this/ program--has to line up with endtimes matching starttimes and no
> gaps and ...

Eh? Mike, I think you may have misunderstood what's going on here. I think the
OP is discussing what action myth should take when presented with inconsistent
scheduling data for any single program. He's not suggesting that SD move the
start time of a subsequent program.

If any user wants to record the subsequent program, as well as the one with the
weird timings, then the scheduler is going to record it on a second tuner, if
present, or reschedule if it can't (assuming overlap caused by padding).

If any user just wants to record the second program, as you say, the start time
is authoritative, so what difference does the timings of the previous program
make? None. As I understand it, each recording request we make to myth is
treated as a separate entity, so the timings of preceding/subsequent programs
are irrelevant.

If the scheduler determines that a program recording request is x minutes,
however long that is, then that's the timing it should use to figure out how
best to record that program. Shouldn't affect the timings of any other program
at all. If x = max(duration, runtime), sounds good to me.

--

Mike Perkins