[mythtv-users] GPT disk partitioning

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Apr 11 06:14:39 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 02:25:55 pm Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 16:02:15 -0400, Rod Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since MythTV users are frequently on the bleeding edge of disk
> > storage, at least for personal Linux systems, I thought I'd point out
> > my new programming project, GPT fdisk:
>
> Doesn't parted support GPT for a long time?

Yes, but as I pointed out in my original post:

: Currently, GNU Parted can handle GPT disks, but it's
: a little quirky with them.

Parted wipes out boot loaders and it mangles partition type codes for FAT
partitions, among other things. Personally, I've never much cared for Parted,
even on MBR disks. That was part of my reason for writing GPT fdisk.

> With large storage setups, LVM is also a usual scenario.

LVM is usually done on top of traditional partitions, although I believe this
isn't strictly necessary. (You might need to set aside at least one non-LVM
disk for booting, though.)

--
Rod Smith