[mythtv-users] CPU & CPU Temp

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Apr 11 03:33:08 UTC 2009

Mr. Vining wrote:
> I've been using Mythbuntu for my front end and I'm loving it.  I'm the
> first of any of my friends to really try Linux, so I'm pretty newb.
> I'm about to build a frontend for my bedroom and living room.  Sound
> actually is an issue in these areas so I'm looking to build a pretty
> quiet computer.  I'm looking at:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125098
> but I am worried about the heat.  Does Linux / Myth have any tools for
> checking on the temp of CPU and GPU?
While I love these daily discussions on VDPAU... getting back on topic...

lm_sensors is not needed to grab CPU temperature.  While lm_sensors will
give you access to additional fan, voltage, and thermal sensors on the
motherboard, CPU temperature should be available on any kernel with a
proper ACPI implementation. Check under
'/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature' or
'/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp'.