[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Apr 9 15:29:22 UTC 2009

On Thu Apr 09, 2009 at 08:45:36AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> > > an exact copy which they can print off in the thousands/millions and flog
> > > off cheaply.
> >
> > Good point, but it was my understanding that you need to compress it to
> > make a copy because the writable disks don't have the capacity of the
> > commercial ones.
>
> Not so, you can write to dual-layer disks, but the cost is higher and it takes
> longer.

Yes, but the question is whether the writable dual-layer discs have the
same capacity as the pressed versions.  My understanding is that they do
not, but that's just from a vague recollection of something I read a
long while ago.

> Usually you can just skip the crap they add on to the movies, it's an unusual
> movie that is over 2 hours.

Yes, but then you're not doing an exact copy, and have to deal with the
copy-protection during the ripping.  The whole point of this part of the
thread was that the copy-protection issue could be avoided during the
back-up process by doing a bit-level copy.  This would avoid DMCA issues
when backing up legally purchased DVDs (though if there's a capacity
difference between recordable & pressed discs, the backup copy won't
necessarily do you any good anyway).

Cheers,
    Robin
--