[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:53:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it so hard to do a bit true copy from a DVD to a file without
> doing any decryption?  This would not require any defeating of the
> encryption and would allow backup.  It seems to me that you only need
> decryption to view a file.  Obviously I am missing something.

Indeed.  This is exactly how rip prevention is implemented in modern
disks.  Bad sectors are introduced into the disk to prevent
bit-for-bit copying.  As players follow a branching path established
by the index on the disk, they never encounter the bad sectors.  But a
bit for bit copy will.

Robert